Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Love. . .Seize it!

Growing up, I feel everyone dreams of being great. To be known; to see their name in bright lights, or on the cover of a novel, or to be featured in a film, or have a spread in Vogue magazine, or to travel to the moon and back. I know that while I was growing up my dad always told me, “Michaela, you can be anything you want to be. All you have to do is take advantage of the opportunities that are put before you. The world is at your finger tips….. Love. Seize it!” These words seem so simple to follow. Life, after all, is what you make it, right?  But what defines greatness? Is it how many zeros are in your bank account, or how many lives you change, or the relationships you build, or how many Facebook friends you have, of whom you only know ten percent? Maybe?
To me, greatness is conquering your own limits; achieving the seemingly unachievable. But then again, you can only go as far as your ambitions take you, and even then, accomplishing your ambitions can be the end of you and the beginning of a never ceasing quest for more.  That is no life to live. To never be satisfied with what you have, and not enjoying the here and now. For all we have is now. Every second is a blessing. Now more than ever, my heart is bubbling over with desire; desire to do and be something great. This desire is so strong, I feel as though I will explode!
I am in the remaining semester of my college career, and with this milestone approaching; there is a sense of fear and excitement. The past twenty-two years of my life have been planned for me.  Everything from my hair cuts to my class courses. I say this loosely. Of course I have had some influence on the decisions that have been made in my life, but for the most part, my parents and my education have been the determining factors.  By law I was required to attend school until I was sixteen. By my mother, I am required to stay in school until I receive my degree. My wings were clipped and I only had certain perimeters that I could venture out to before I was herded back home.
In five months, nothing will be planned for me anymore. My wings will be restored and I will be free to finally spread them wide and fly. Where I will fly? I don’t know, but I invite you to join me on my quest for adventure. I will be open and vulnerable with you. Sharing, in detail, my thoughts, feelings, and nuggets of wisdom I discover along the way. I am sure there will be much blood, sweat, and tears along the bumpy road, but I promise it will not be a boring ride! In the words of the great poet Robert Frost, “I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.”  That is my goal; to take the unbeaten path.  To live my life and love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment